What to do after a car accident with an uninsured motorist – Peterson & Associates, PC | CarTailz

Missouri state law requires drivers to have a minimum amount of insurance coverage. Third party insurance protects others who are injured in a car accident if you are found to be at fault. If you are held legally liable for causing a car accident, your liability insurance would compensate the accident victims for their injuries and damages. The same applies if you are injured by someone who caused the accident. Your liability insurance compensates you for your injuries.

Unfortunately, many drivers across the country, including in Missouri, ignore driver insurance requirements. They may not want to pay for insurance coverage, may have a suspended driver’s license, or have other reasons to avoid insurance. Whatever the reason for driving without insurance, the victims of an accident caused by an uninsured driver are the ones who suffer the greatest consequences. However, there are some steps you can take and claim to get compensation for your injuries.

Steps to take after an accident caused by an uninsured motorist:

  1. Call 911 to report the accident: Call 911 to report the accident and get help from police officers and emergency services. Uninsured drivers are very likely to flee the scene of an accident. But even if the other driver leaves the scene of the accident, call 911 to report the accident and request assistance. If you can, try to document information about the other car, including make, model, color, and license plate. Make sure you file a police report and get a copy when making an insurance claim with your insurance provider.
  2. Get the information of the other driver: If possible, get the other driver’s name, address, and driver’s license number. In some cases, a driver may not be willing to provide this information. It’s best to stay calm and not confront the other driver. Let the police officers handle the matter when they arrive and get the necessary information from the other party. However, you can take a photo of the license plate of the vehicle that hit you in case the driver decides to leave before the police officers arrive.
  3. Document the scene of the accident: If it is safe to do so, photograph the scene of the accident and record a video of the scene of the accident with your mobile phone. Try to record the damage to the vehicles, the location of the vehicles, skid marks, debris, and traffic signs or signals. It’s also a good idea to ask witnesses for their names and contact information. Some witnesses may leave the scene of the accident before police officers can speak to them to take their statements.
  4. Seek medical attention for injuries: The shock of an accident can mask some injury symptoms. In general, it’s best to be seen by a doctor as soon as possible after a car accident. Make sure you tell your doctor all of your symptoms and that you’ve been in a traffic accident. Documenting your injuries is important for an insurance claim. Delays in medical care may affect your entitlement. The insurance company can claim that if you were injured in the accident, you would have received medical care sooner.
  5. Report the accident to your insurance company: Contact your car insurance company to report the accident. Have your insurance company confirm the amount of your insurance cover for uninsured motorists (UM). The minimum amount of UM coverage in Missouri is $25,000 per person ($50,000 per accident). Uninsured Driver Insurance compensates you for damage caused by an uninsured driver or a hit-and-run driver. The compensation you receive is limited to the amount of coverage in your policy.
  6. Contact a Kansas City auto accident attorney for a free consultation: Insurance companies are not on your side. If you are hit by an uninsured motorist, file a claim through your own insurance company under your uninsured motorist insurance. You should never assume that you will receive adequate compensation for your uninsured motorist claim simply because you are dealing with your own insurance provider. If you’re filing a claim for an uninsured motorist, you’re not working with your agent, you’re working with the claims department, who is reviewing all of the circumstances of your case. Your claim will be treated in the same way as any other insurance claim. Insurance companies stay in business by paying as little as possible for claims, and they will try to do the same for your claim. As a result, you may find that your UM application is rejected or undervalued. The expert may try to blame you for the accident or claim that you do not have sufficient evidence that the other driver caused the accident.

Proving guilt in a car accident can be complicated. An attorney has the resources, experience, and skills to investigate the cause of the crash and collect evidence proving at fault. You know what the insurance companies are looking for. A car accident attorney also understands how to assess and document the damages you have suffered after an accident to ensure you receive appropriate compensation for your injuries and losses caused by an uninsured driver.

Before discussing the claim with an insurance adjuster, making a statement, signing a medical clearance statement, or accepting a settlement offer, you must speak with a Kansas City auto accident attorney. An attorney will review your case, explain your legal rights and discuss your options for recovering maximum compensation for your compensation claim.

Insurance coverage for uninsured drivers

If you are reading this and have not been in an accident caused by an uninsured motorist, this is perhaps the most important thing you can do to check your policy Make sure you have adequate coverage for uninsured drivers. Deciding how much UM coverage you need comes down to personal preference. Many insurance agents and attorneys advise that the simple answer to how much coverage you need is as much as you can afford. Adding additional uninsured motorist insurance is relatively inexpensive, and the benefits and reassurance it provides should you ever be involved in an accident caused by an uninsured driver are worth the minimal additional cost.

Kansas City car accident attorney

If you have been in an accident involving an uninsured motorist, you should contact an experienced personal injury attorney for assistance as early as possible. Getting into a car accident can be traumatic on its own, but it gets worse when it’s hit by someone without insurance. Especially if your own insurance is giving you problems. Don’t feel like you have nowhere to turn and no one can help you. Having an experienced lawyer by your side gives you the peace of mind that someone is on your side and will fight for you.

Peterson & Associates PC attorneys can help you file a claim and get you the money you deserve. Contact our Kansas City personal injury attorneys today to learn more about your legal options. Contact Peterson and Associates PC by calling (816) 578-0580 to speak to a Kansas City auto accident attorney for a free consultation. Our team of lawyers is at your side with advice and action.

Leave a Comment